Monday, October 27, 2008

The State of the Film & Entertainment Industry Summit

On October 9th, the "State of the Film & Entertainment Industry Summit" took place in St. Petersburg, FL. to address the sad situation of the film & entertainment industries in Florida. Most states in our country have gone to some lengths to engage in a healthy competition to court the film industry to continue shooting & doing projects in their states (of course except for a few, one, namely being Florida). The lame incentives Florida offers are kind of like an insult to the industry almost to the point that they are 'asking' productions to leave the state. I really don't understand the logic in it whatsoever but the politicians that headed the 'summit' (as they called it) didn't really offer any solutions except to help them do their jobs & to keep doing more work for them.

I have to say, if I am going to have to do something & if what I do is successful, why do I need these people to speak for us filmmakers in Florida? They are proving to us all that they are not doing their jobs by putting on the farcical show they staged. It ended up being a forum for us to all complain about the fact that the capitol in Tallahassee is doing 'nothing' to help us poor, innocent filmmakers & videographers... blah, blah. Once again a waste of our efforts on politicians to save us.

I don't care for their efforts & I don't expect anyone to do anything to help me, I simply don't want anyone to get in my way to create as an artist. If at least, the state & local governments were offering a policy to help with permits, security & insurance it would make creating easier. I'm not asking for money for myself, I'm asking for these bureaucracies to fast-track some of the processes we have to wade through because we are doing things up-front & in cooperation with these governments. Plus I think it contributes to our tradition in Florida to have smaller government. Taxes could be waived as well possibly... who knows? There are actually so many ways that the state could help (without having to put up any funds whatsoever) that it is almost shocking to see so little action on their part. Which, again, makes it look like they are actually asking for production companies to leave Florida!

Once again, government saves mankind! Well... with some reservations. So, the plan is for us to go to Tally & once again, not be heard. :-\

No comments: