Monday, October 27, 2008

Cinematography Class with Erik Curtis

Our wonderfully talented friend, DP Erik Curtis, who was extremely busy during this last movie he was shooting (known as The Chaos Experiment with Val Kilmer) finally arrived back in Tampa for the much anticipated Cinematography class for the Tampa Weekend Film School. The event was sponsered by Kodak & we were going to be 'having school' in ValComm/Chameleon Filmworks Studios in Clearwater and we were going to be using Panavision with (of course) Kodak high grade film. There were about 20-30 students and about 15 crew including Erik Curtis & Pete Guzzo (acting as Director) & while we were training loading film, dolly gripping & using the camera we were going to be shooting a PSA for a benefit to raise money by bicycling for a cause. There was another Director working with us as well (who I really liked) but I didn't really get his name. We shot HD alongside and got to compare between the two on the $30k monitors. Of course, the processing of the film will have to take place in the next week or two & Erik has informed us that we will be going on a trip to the Lab... Continental Labs in Orlando! It should be very informational & a lot of fun! I will learn a great deal I'm sure! I think that as film goes out of style... it will become cheaper, but also the skill set will be harder to come by... this experience will become a valuable one!

I have to say, that Erik was one of the nicest, coolest & most accessible DP's I've met & I was VERY honored to work with him, even a little bit. I LOVED pulling focus for the last second of film in the camera! Go out with a bang, baby!! This has been the favorite of my film school experiences so far!

No comments: