Saturday, May 21, 2016

2016 Film Development Update for Liberty No. 5 Pictures

Hello my friends! So many things have changed since I last updated you on my company's development projects awhile ago. That is, until I announced Floridiana just days ago. So, what has happened to my other projects? Well, I'm about to tell you...

I have fewer current projects slated since I am getting closer to focusing exclusively on Pre-Production and Production for my first picture, Floridiana. I am also working on getting funding for Blood Covenant/The Double Edge. I will act as Producer/Writer on this picture. But what of my past projects?





The Logical Diary has been scrapped. This one was a very ambitious project dependent upon an idea to make a year-long struggle to make a short film every month for a year. And then combining those 12 shorts together to make an anthology feature. Certainly an engaging and original idea. Yet the story eluded me. Not to mention the most important feature, the inspiration for this project, faded. Also, I can accept now, that I really don't have the time to produce such a demanding project.  I think its a good idea for someone who wants to build support for their feature by making numerous short projects culminating in one large push for a feature film release. But, the true issue is that the feature film is enormously more valuable than even 12 shorts. So, why not just focus on making one feature? It would be easier to focus on one story and have one moment of principle photography rather than a short every single month for a year. But, thats just me. Traditional feature filmmaking would be more valuable in this case.

The Good Grief has been for the most part scrapped. This was a passion project for me dealing with my college years and accepting myself as an artist. It was great to work with Linda Roser the short time we worked together on it. But, I just had too many things calling me away, story-wise. I am still interested in continuing the basic idea with a different story. Especially if it means working with Linda again on this film.

The Darkened Door was basically just an idea, and it still is. I had a few conversations with Davina Reid about this idea, and she gave very positive feedback. But I haven't written it yet. And I'm still not secure about the plot or characters yet. It is, also, not as high a priority as many of my other scripts and ideas. But I'm still attracted to it's neo-noir thriller tone. 


In This Sign Conquer is a strange conglomeration of story ideas that deal with war, loss, wealth, poverty, and religious extremism. I have taken about 4-5 old ideas and new ideas and shoved them together into a concoction of mystery, revelation, mysticism, and moral death. And I'm still not sure what to do with it. Ah, well. It may be some time before I return to this one.

Adaptation ideas such as C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet", George MacDonald's "The Light Princess", "Day Boy/Night Girl", "Lilith: A Romance", "The Shadows", and ancient and legendary tales such as "The Nibelung" are still on the drawing board, but I have decided that they will best be served by attempting to get support and recognition for other films FIRST. And then, attempting to get these projects FULLY FUNDED in order to do these classic stories justice. You don't want to mess up a CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, or George MacDonald tale. To be honest, I'm a major fan of these works in general and would cheerlead any of them getting directed by anyone who I felt could make these films best. Meaning, I may end up attempting to source an adapted script and then possibly helping to produce these works. These will certainly require a full-sized fantasy/sci-fi budget in order to bring these vivid, VFX-laden dreamscapes of wonder to the big screen. And it will need a full marketing budget to take advantage of the nascent fanbase out there who would gladly go to these films in theaters. So, this is still a major goal I have for the future.

Beach Baby is still in the works. In fact, it is the next script I am developing, God-willing. It's another local tale that must be told, like Floridiana. Except it takes place in the late 50's, and hopefully, some A-list talent will grace Beach Baby, even moreso than Floridiana. It will require a bigger Production Design budget and VFX budget in order to recreate 50's Florida.

Pirate Planet! is my first bigger budget project, which could end up being a ton of fun. It's a pirate adventure in space. I've already written an entire backstory, a Pirate Planet Bible ("The History of the Pirate Order"). What more do I need to say? It will be tons of fun... BUT it will require a LOT of VFX work, character design, costume and production design. But it will be enormously rewarding. Especially since it can lead to a larger story exploring the universe of the Pirate Order and High Space culture!


There are a lot more, such as The Wake, The Light of My Early Years, Redshift, The Inheritance, Mirum LuxThe Knight's Pilgrim, The 1%ers, and the mother load, The Triumvirate. I am ever hopeful that all of these are still in my future. And my current projects will hopefully bring them further into my reach. So, I look forward to completing Golden Foot, and Floridiana, and I look forward to producing Blood Covenant/The Double Edge first. Then moving on to bigger things later, such as Beach Baby. :)




A. PROJECTS CURRENTLY IN DEVELOPMENT:

1. Floridiana (In the role of Writer-Director/Producer)
2. Blood Covenant/The Double Edge (In the role of Writer/Producer)

B. PROJECTS CURRENTLY BEING WRITTEN:
1. Beach Baby
2. Pirate Planet



C. PROJECTS BEING DEVELOPED IN MY CURRENT FILM JOB:
A lot of projects being developed in my job working for an Executive Producer to help develop projects for fundraising. But I am bound by an NDA, so I can't talk about any of them.

Once I get a few of my current projects completed, I will be finding time again to write on these other projects and will be finding new opportunities through an agent or through offers of work to direct or write. I'm maturing into this and happy about where I'm going. ;)

No comments: