Friday, May 23, 2014

Blood Covenant is Completed!!... The First Draft, that is.

It took me about 9 and a half months. The same time (give or take a few weeks) to fully gestate an infant human being. I am now resting peacefully. Eating well and am recovering from traumatic wounds caused from birthing a new baby script. A gift to the world. You're welcome.


Now we spend the rest of the scripts life constantly telling it what to do, correcting it, treating it unfairly... or do we nurture it, mold it, protect it and help it to grow into a beautiful fully formed script? I will decide that now- as a first time parent of a script.

I absolutely love the story- the characters (though some still seem unfinished or incomplete)- the plot twists, the locations, the action, the beats, the tone. I can't wait to see it as a movie, but I have very large concerns that if I sell the script, people would absolutely relish changing the ending.

I would hope that, whoever reads the script or thinks about working on it, that they will fully experience the meaning of the film, as it was meant to be experienced. If that experience is given a fair chance, I am confident that the primary elements of the script will remain as it was written.

Sometimes, you just have to not care what kind of criticism you get and keep trudging on... FOR the script. Keep doing the script justice by, yes, doing multiple passes of it and editing it, but also, in believing that there was a reason that you set out on this journey, and it wasn't just to make a script. It was to make a damn good script!




If Wendy says it... I know I can be happy with it!



No comments: