Friday, January 27, 2012

Jon's Top Ten Films of 2011

I hate to say this, but I didn't want to make a top ten list earlier this year.  I don't know why I feel so compelled to do so now, but I do.  I also have to admit that I might not have seen some of the best films of the last year still, so my list might seem thin or inadequate to some- I doubt it but we'll see.  I am aware of a few films I suppose that would be acceptable on my list, except like I said, I've never seen them yet.  This list at the bottom will be called "Movies I Should've Seen Already From 2011."  So, here they are!

Jon's Top Ten Films of 2011


1. Drive - Dir. Nicholas Winding Refn
An uber-classy film of the highest order.  I detect inspirations from the best years of Hollywood's glory with a leading man and a soundtrack to remind us what good filmmaking is.  A slight raw indie sensibility is present as well.  Refn is almost the new Tarantino in this offering.

2. Hanna - Dir. Joe Wright
An artful action flick with a fairy tale meaning and wonderful performances at its core.  Another super soundtrack to keep us all riveted and cheering for Hanna all the way.  Really masterful filmmaking where you care greatly about the protagonist and you're involved throughout the film.

3. Melancholia - Dir. Lars von Trier
A more accessible offering from von Trier than we are used to out in the audience.  That being said, it still isn't accessible to most people and it is still rife with his themes of nihilism, fatalism and depression.  However, it is still masterful filmmaking (especially the introductory 8 minute sequence) and it proves to be Kirsten Dunst's best performance in my opinion.

4. Martha Marcy May Marlene - Dir. Shawn Durkin
A strange paranoia-inducing romp through one young lady's scarred psyche as she tries to put her cult-following days behind her.  Maybe I shouldn't call it a romp actually.

5. Submarine - Dir. Richard Ayoade
A fun Wes Anderson-ish account of an english boy's attempts to win over his heart-throb girlfriend and his own mother- to accept his (and his father's) strange depressive or should i say, 'submersive' ways. It's a quirky delight.

6. Fright Night - Dir. Craig Gillespie
A much-better remake of the 80's vampire tale starring Colin Farrell in one of his best performances as the menacing vampire 'Jerry'.

7. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - Dir. Brad Bird
The best action flick of the year and incredible visuals and situations that are difficult to believe. Some fun ensemble acting in there as well.

8. Hugo - Dir. Martin Scorsese
A gorgeous, heart-felt film about a poor orphaned child who is working to find his purpose in the world and in the process finds an 'orphaned' early 20th century era Director (Milliez) who created some of most incredible early works of film.

9. Certified Copy - Dir. Abbas Kiarostami
A "Before Sunset"-style film that follows an author and a French woman (who is an enthusiast of his work) as they travel around and take in the Italian art throughout Tuscany. But the film is not a travelogue. Rather the story takes a turn and succeeds at involving the audience deeply in the nature of original art by also examining love and relationships and their connections with our affection for art.

10. The Descendants - Dir. Alexander Payne
A classy, fun and heart-felt tribute to the idea that our legacy on earth and in our family has meaning and value. Some great performances bloom here with George Clooney leading some young actors to some cathartic realizations. The tone of this film stays with you.

Runners up to the Top Ten:
13 Assassins
Hobo with a Shotgun
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Attack the Block
X-Men: First Class
Trollhunter
Captain America: The 1st Avenger
The Adventures of Tintin
Source Code
The Trip
Waiting for Superman
Cool It


Also, there are a bunch of films I still haven't seen from 2011. This may be why they never showed up in my top ten.  Here is a list, but if any of you feel like I should watch them right away andn change my top ten list or I should run screaming away from these films just let me know. Here are the films...

Movies I Should've Seen Already From 2011:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Tree of Life
Take Shelter
The Artist
The Future
The Muppets
Win Win
Young Adult
Bridesmaids
Rango
Midnight in Paris
War Horse
50/50
General Orders No. 9
Contagion
The Help
Bellflower
Another Earth
The Skin I Live In
Jane Eyre
Winnie the Pooh
Warrior
Being Elmo
Anonymous
Rampart
Immortals
Tyrranosaur
Horrible Bosses
Machine Gun Preacher
Stake Land
Paranormal Activity 3
Margin Call
Everything Must Go
J. Edgar
Hesher
Moneyball
Beginners
Fast Five
The Hangover Part II
The Big Year
Puncture
The Rum Diary
Thor
Green Lantern
The Green Hornet
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
The Thing (2011)
Project Nim
Apollo 18
Dirty Girl
Sucker Punch
The Mechanic
Kung Fu Panda 2
Crazy Stupid Love
Soul Surfer
Courageous
Dolphin Tale
Conviction
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1

I might have gone overboard here, but honestly, its like my eyes are bigger than my stomach, except my love of movies is bigger than my bank account.  So, let me know if any of these movies are worth the expense or if I should have mentioned a different film from 2011!  All and all it was a pretty good year for films... somewhat trans-formative I think- but 2012 should be fantastic!

No comments: